View of our “Higher Power”
Many people ask for an Overcomers Outreach “statement of faith” or doctrinal position. We avoid discussions of specific doctrine in OO groups and instead put our focus on the person of Christ, our healer. However, a few very basic concepts that describe our “position” are appropriate and necessary.
- We believe that we are all made in God’s image but that we are sinners, with an “inner child” that many times needs healing.
- We believe that we inherited our sinful nature from God’s first man and woman on earth, and everyone is in need of a Saviour.
- We believe this Saviour’s name is Jesus Christ, God’s own Son, who came to give His life that we might live eternally. Jesus, who is our “Higher Power”, is not a god we have created in our finite minds to suit our fancies, but is the powerful Creator and Lord of the universe. He is not an inanimate object that we can manipulate to our own desires, but is the awesome God who is alive, and who reaches out His love and presence to each one of us who will accept it.
- We believe that Jesus of Nazareth was born about 2,000 years ago, walked the earth for 33 years, suffered and died upon a cross, shedding His blood for the sins of mankind, which includes every one of us. The good news is that He rose from the dead and is very much alive today!
- We believe that those of us who accept His gift of love, turning our will and lives over to the care of Jesus Christ, have our sins forgiven – washed totally away – with the promise of eternal life. This message, more than any other, needs to be considered by every person in the world, whether in recovery or not, because it deals with the most important decision we will ever make during our lifetimes – one that will affect us individually for eternity.